Make your own free website on
St. Croix County Biographies and Historical Sketches


St. Croix County Townships Map | St. Croix County (1909) | Early History of St. Croix County | Villages, Townships & Municipalities | St. Joseph, Troy & Warren Townships | Stanton & Star Prairie Townships | Rush River, Somerset & Springfield Townships | Richmond Township, City of New Richmond | Kinnickinnic & Pleasant Valley Townships | Hudson Township & City of Hudson | Forest, Glenwood & Hammond Townships | Eau Galle, Emerald and Erin Townships | Baldwin, Cady & Cylon Townships
Haggerty, Hall, Hanly, Hanson, Harriman, Hart, Haugen, Hawkins, Hawley, Heebink, Heffron, Helms, Hemenway, Hill, Hilling, Hodgin, Hogan, Holden, Holmes, Holtman, Hoyt, Hughes, Humphrey, Hurd



Thomas Haggerty b: 1846, Belfast Academy Grant (Ludlow ME); baptized 29 August 1846, St Mary's RCCh, Houlton ME , sp:Kyran Walsh & Bridget Gilaspey

Thomas worked the farm at Ludlow ME, migrated, 1868, to Cambria Co PA, resided there for 4 years, then

came to Stillwater MN, 1872. There he established the village of Houlton WI (after Houlton ME, now the villiage of St Joseph WI, just across the St Croix River from Stillwater MN) ) became a retail store, tavern & hotel keeper as well as property and lumber dealer, farmer and Houlton WI's post-master.

From "Red" Haggerty (son of Edmond P Haggerty & nephew of the above Tom Haggerty, in the Peter Haggerty Jr line); "Uncle Tom Haggerty originated in Houlton Maine and about more or less emigrated to Wisconsin where he opened up a general merchandise store on the Wisconsin side of the St Croix River and christened the town, that grew up around his store, Houlton. I can still remember him, shorter than our dad and more heavy set, but the same type of mould. Besides the store he was the postmaster also. I do not remember when or how he died but do recall that he turned the store over to E. P. to manage and run it, while still alive. Dad did not do very well. He gave credit to anyone and everyone and finally closed up the business. Shortly after doing so, as I recall, the building burned down, completely."

From Ms Jayne Finnergan Smith a long time resident of Houlton WI: " Our Ggp's Mary Jane Keays and Wm Keays were very good friends of both Tom Haggerty and "old" Ed Haggerty . We grew up thinking that we (the Conway's, my grandparents), the Joyce's and Haggerty's were the only 3 Catholic families in Houlton and later in life we equated ourselves to Houlton what the Kennedy's were to Hyannisport. Yes, I was present in my best Sunday garb to many of your family. I remember Charles in his service uniform coming to visit us during WWII. If you could call me , I have some entertaining stories about the 3 families. My number is: 651-439-5447".

Elizabeth Curtis, 28 June 1875 , at St Michael's RCCh, Stillwater MN; w: Jacob Hinchey & Mary J Curtis; o: M E Murphy.
She, b: 1855 MN, d: 14 July 1914, age 59, interred w/Thomas & other family members, St Charles/St Michaels RCCem, Bayport MN.
Elizabeth was the daughter of a prominent local farmer (b: Ireland), horse breeder, deputy sheriff, Stillwater police chief, town treasurer & school director. He d: suddenly at age 79 at his home at on Second St. Her mother was Bridget Fenton who had 13 kids.

Houlton WI, heart failure, 9 June 1908, age 63, Interred St Charles/St Michaels RCCem, Bayport MN w/ Elizabeth & other family members .

Anna Regina, b: 26 November 1876, bap: 3 December 1876, St Michaels RCCh, Stillwater MN, w: Daniel Curtis & Susan Keamer; m: Albert E Underwood, 15 August 1898, St Michaels RCCh, Stillwater MN, w: Jacob Tolen & Theresa M Doyle.

Geneieve, b: 1879, St Croix WI, m: Bernard G Foran, 12 October 1898, St Michaels RCCh, Stillwater MN, w: John Fulten & Angeline Haggerty.

Ann, 13 October 1880, m: George Bau, 4 May 1903, St Michaels RCCh, Stillwater MN , w: John Bau & Geneve Foran, d: 15 December 1908, age 28 , interred St Charles/ St Michaels RCCem, Bayport MN.

Orie P ??, b: 1882, d: 13 October 1906, Interred St Charles/ St Michaels RCCem, Bayport MN w/ Elizabeth, Thomas & other family members.

JOYCE (DOWER):Co.Mayo.Ireland>MA.USA;
HAGGERTY (McGUIRE):Co.Donegal.Ireland>NB.Canada>ME.USA >USA;
LAVERTY (BROWN), (KELLY):Co.Armagh.Ireland>NB.Canada>ME.CA.USA>USA.Canada

Submitted by:  Ed Costello


T. Dwight Hall. Mr. Hall was born in Perry, N. Y., Sept. 3, 1830; while preparing for college, he taught school to work his way through Yale. He arrived in Hudson in 1855, and established himself in the practice of the law. He was a good writer, an eloquent speaker and had an inherent love of truth. He was editor of the "Chronicle" and had an influence in the community. His death was on the 19th of October, 1875.

(Taken from "History of Northern Wisconsin", pub. 1881)


Andrew Hanly was born in County Limerick, Ireland, March 17, 1831, a son of John and Catharine Hanly. The father died in Ireland and the mother passed away in Ohio. Andrew received a common school education in his native country and then came to America, living seven years in Knox county, Ohio, where he worked at railroading on what is now the Baltimore and Ohio road. He then followed the same occupation four years at Devenport, Iowa, and two years at Hudson, Wis. In 1862 he decided to take up farming. He purchased a section of land in Warren Township, carrying on general farming. He disposed of pieces of his land from time to time, until he retained 140 acres of the original purchase. This he has recently sold to his son Ottis. Andrew Hanly has always been known as a man of sterling honor and integrity. He has been honored by holding the positions of chairman and supervisor of the township of Warren, and has also occupied other positions of trust and honor. He has given all his children good education and has achieved his own success by the hardest kind of labor. He now lives on the old homestead with his son, having largely retired from active work. He is a Democrat in politics and attends the Catholic Church. The son, Ottis, is a progressive farmer, and is looked upon as one of the successful young men of this locality.

Reference: Taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909


Andrew Hanson, of the firm of Hanson and Johnson, leading merchants of Woodville, was born at Frederickstad, Norway, February 4, 1861, son of Hans Hanson and Bertha Maria (Olsen) Hanson, natives of that country, who followed farming and ended their lives there, being the parents of nine children, four of whom are now alive, as follows: Helen, married to C. P. Granat, a farmer in Norway; Boletta, married to John Helstrom, also a Norwegian farmer; Louise, marred to Gilbert Folsom, of Tacoma, Wash., and Andrew, the subject of this sketch. Andrew was educated in the schools of Norway, coming to America at the age of nineteen years. His first work was as a clerk in the village of Woodville, in 1881. In 1885 he engaged in business for himself, which he continued with considerable success for six years. Subsequently he formed the firm of Hanson and Johnson, which appears in this history. The business, already large, is constantly growing, and the two members of the firm are deserving of all the prosperity that has been accorded them. Aside from his interest in the store, Mr. Hanson owns bank holdings, forty acres of land in his own name, and also a half interest in a rich farm of 440 acres, which brings in a considerable income. He is a member of the Democratic Party, but votes independently upon local affairs. He is a communicant of the Lutheran church. Mr. Hanson was married September 5, 1884, to Randine Nelson, daughter of Nels Riarson, of Modum, Norway. The issue from this union is as follows: Hilda Nettie, born February 18, 1885; Dora Maria, born February 8, 1887; Arthur Reynold, born December 1, 1888; Oscar Bernart, born March 2, 1891; Clara Emelie, born December 28, 1892; Eda Louisa, born November 26, 1894; Walter Ferdinand, born August 4, 1896; Georgia Sigvart, born July 22, 1898; Petra Theresa, born November 6, 1900; Johan Kermit, born May 19, 1904, and Victor Urben, born March 21, 1906. Mr. Hanson is a progressive citizen and his financial standing is of the best. (taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909)

Ebbe Hanson is a native of Denmark, born September 9, 1859, a son of Hans and Marie Hanson, who lived and died in the old country. He attended the common schools and worked with his father until 1882, when he came to the United States. After looking about for a time he located in Green Lake County, Wisconsin until 1902, when he came to St. Croix County and took up farming. He purchased an improved farm of 160 acres in Stanton Township. Since that date he has made many more improvements. He is considered one of the best farmers in the township, and his farm shows much careful work. He has a good house and large barns, all in the finest condition. He carries on general farming, raising diversified crops and breeding some good cattle, hogs, fowls, and other live stock. Mr. Hanson has made a great success of farming, and is regarded as one of the most successful men in the valley. In 1884 he was married to Mary Christensen, who has made him a most able helpmeet. Four children have blessed the union: William, Amelia, Clarence and Aggie. Mr. Hanson is a Republican in politics, but has never sought public position, although many times urged to do so by his friends. He chooses rather to devote his time to his farm and his family, and let others take care of the offices. He has made all that he owns by hard labor, and is still engaged in active work, toiling from early morning to late and night in order to add to the success that he has already achieved. Reference: Taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909


Hudson S. Harriman, for fourteen years postmaster at Somerset, St. Croix County, Wisconsin, was born in Orland, Me., May 15, 1833. His parents, Nathaniel and Drusella (Saunders) Harriman, were natives of that state. Nathaniel followed farming and was also a millwright. He died in 1882. Hudson S. went to the common schools and then spent his time farming and in a sawmill. In 1856 he came to Somerset, and with his brother, Samuel, he opened a sawmill on Apple River, where they conducted a logging, sawmill and farming business. They built the hotel at Somerset in 1876. Two years previous to this, in 1874, they had started a general store in that township. This store was sold in 1884 to H. A. Lagranduer. It was during this partnership that Hudson S. Harriman enlisted in the Union army. He served in Company F, First Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, which he joined September 14, 1861. His commanding officers were Colonel Stockweather and Captain Samuels. Owing to disability he was discharged June 24, 1862, at Columbia, Tenn. Returning to Wisconsin he wooed and won Mrs. Marcia A. Briggs, daughter of John H. and Martha A. (Andrus) Palmer, of Maine and Wisconsin. The ceremony was performed May 31, 1863. Mr.s Harrimans father died at Amery, Wis., November 26, 1895.

Although he had been declared disabled, Mr. Harriman was drafted November 3, 1864, and consigned to Company E, Seventeenth Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteers. He was mustered out at Louisville, Ky., July 14, 1856. In 1866 he bought forty acres of land in Somerset township, which he broke and improved, raising mostly wheat and oats. Mr. Harriman is a Republican. He has been town chairman and treasurer. Mr. and Mrs. Harriman have no children of their own, but an adopted daughter and a niece, who have spent their whole life with them, have received the care that would have been given to children of their own. Martha A. the adopted daughter, married J. M. Peters, a carpenter at Arcadia, Neb. The niece, Effie Tenquest, has been a stenographer at St. Paul, Minn., seven years. Mr. Harriman has always been a hard working man and is honored for the influence he has had in the affairs of the township. As postmaster he was affable and accommodating and his long service in that capacity game him a wide knowledge of the county and its people. Reference: Taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909


J. E. Hart is the son of Ed. And Bridget Hart, who came to the United States in 1858 and settled in what is now Erin Prairie, Wis. They took up wild land and made extensive improvements. Aside from developing his land, the father did some hard work in the lumber woods. He was a person of great sturdiness and strength and lived to be a very old man, dying in 1904 at considerably over ninety years of age. The mother still survives, and is more than eighty years of age, being still strong and vigorous of mind and body. They had four children: Maggie, Lizzie, J. E., and Mariah. J. E. was born on the old homestead, February 8, 1867, and has since continued to reside there. He attended the common schools in his earlier days and acquired a good education. His farm consists of 160 acres, all but twenty acres being under the plow. Some years ago Mr. Hart became actively interested in politics. For three years he was chairman of the township, and he has also served as school clerk and member of the side board. He is a communicant of the Catholic Church and a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. (taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909)


(Taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", volume 2, published in 1909)

C. E. Haugen is a native of Norway. Coming to this country in 1887, he at once took up the business of tailor, which he followed for a number of years in St. Paul, Minn., afterward coming to Hudson. He first found employment with S. O. Qvale, who was at that time in the clothing and dry goods business. Mr. Haugens next employment was for eleven years with M. Goldberg. In 1902, in partnership with Oluf Saugestad, he started a mens furnishing and clothing store, which continued for one and a half years, when P. A. Eder purchased Mr. Saugestads interest. Until August 1, 1906, the firm name was known as Haugen & Eder. Mr. Haugen is a man of much foresight, and viewing the situation from a financial standpoint, he sold his half interest to Mr. Eder and immediately fitted up a building 24x65 feet on Second street, one and a half blocks north of the postoffice, and embarked in the clothing business for himself. At present he has one of the neatest and best kept clothing stores in this sectin of the country. He moved to present location on the corner across from the First National Bank, in August, 1907. He is qualified by his many years of experience in this line to purchase goods that will be satisfactory to his customers; while being a tailor, the repair work turned out by his shop is of the best.

He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Sons of Norway, the Foresters and the Norwegian Lutheran church. Mr. Haugen was married in 1896 to Ellen B. Iverson, of Ellsworth, Wis. There have been two childrenFlorence B. died December 23, 1906, at the age of nine years and William E. is at home.


Colonel S. N. Hawkins, ex-mayor of New Richmond, Wis., who, in the face of apathy and opposition, had the courage to declare in his inaugural address of April 17, 1906, that the people of every community have as good a right, morally and legally, to protect themselves and their children from the pollution of the profaner and the blasphemer as they have to guard against the contagion of scarlet fever, or smallpox, or any other contamination, is a man whose opinions on this subject have received commendation form prominent thinkers in nearly every state in the Union. Although he has met with reverses that would have crushed weaker men, he has risen above it all and is now far on the road to an even greater prosperity than that which was blasted and ruined by the devastating tornado of 1899. Stephen Nathaniel Hawkins was born near the city of Loughrea, County of Galaway, Ireland, December 26, 1846. He was the youngest child of a family of sixteen, twelve of whom, eight boys and four girls grew to manhoods estate and settled, later on, in the St. Croix valley, Wisconsin. The genealogy of the family shows that on the fathers side they were of English extraction, derived from the Saxon "Hawkingge," of Saxony, which name was Anglicized to Hawkins in the County of Kent, in England, from which place his ancestors went to Ireland. On the mothers side they were of Norman Welch extraction, the family on the mothers side being readily traced back as far as the twelfth century to Thomas De-Jorse, afterwards modernized at Joyce. Thomas De-Jorse emigrated to Ireland and settled in what was known afterwards as "The Joyces Country," since which time the people on both sides had resided in Ireland and became thoroughly identified with the Irish people. His people came to America while he was yet an infant and settled in Meriden, Conn., from which place they came to Wisconsin in 1852, settling upon a farm near the city of Madison, and in 1855 they were among the early pioneers of the St. Croix valley, which place has ever since been his home. His mother died when he was but seven years of age, after which time he lived with his sister until, at the age of fifteen, he ventured abroad to make a living among strangers, working during the summer months and attending the public schools in the winter. During those years he was engaged in various kinds of employment, farm laborer, following breaking teams, threshing machines, in saw mills, on rafts on the Mississippi river and steamships on the lakes, also as clerk on a steamboat, and thus, by his own efforts, unaided save by providence, as the years went by he obtained the best common school education which the country afforded in those early pioneer days, and finished his course at the "old academy" at River Falls, at that time the principal seat of learning in northwestern Wisconsin, and was the valedictorian at the close of the scholastic year in 1864. At the age of fourteen he enlisted for the army, but was rejected on account of his youth, but later on, however, he was accepted and served until he was honorably mustered out at the close of the Civil war. On his return home from the army he began life as a school teacher in January, 1866, and taught successfully in various parts of the St. Croix valley, including a term in "The Military Institute" at Hudson. As an evidence of his success as a teacher he was paid from five to twelve dollars a month higher wages than any other person received during the last two years of his service in that occupation. He also taught school in Dubuque, Iowa, in 1869, and at the close of his labors was deputized by the county superintendent to assist him in the examination of the graduating classes of the various schools of Dubuque county, Iowa. While teaching school he also studied both law and medicine. While in Dubuque, Iowa, he had for his tutor Dr. M. H. Waples, county physician, a graduate of the Jefferson Medical college, of Philadelphia, and at Hudson he studied with that sturdy veteran of two warsDr. Otis Hoytformerly a surgeon in the Mexican war and Civil war. During the same time he studied law under the instructions of Judge Wetherby, of Hudson, and while in Dubuque he attended the various courts in that city and thus laid the foundation of his future legal studies and practice.

From 1872 to 1876 he was engaged in the mercantile business at New Richmond, and during that period the firms of Early and Hawkins, Thomas Early and Company, and S. N. Hawkins and Company (general merchandise) were well and favorably known in commercial circles. The financial panic of 1873 embarrassed a number of merchants, many of whom took advantage of the bankruptcy laws and became released from their debts through insolvency proceedings, but Mr. Hawkins chose to face the situation like a man, and arranged with his creditors for an extension of time and gave them security, even upon his homestead by a mortgage, and although he lost $4,900.00 and four years hard labor by such a course, yet, at the end of four years thereafter, 1880, he had the satisfaction of redeeming the last obligation existing against him, and he and his friends celebrated the event by holding an informal banquet in his office. Having disposed of his mercantile interests in the spring of 1876, he returned to his first lovethe lawand after a searching examination in open court, as was the usual custom in those days, he was duly admitted to practice law in the county and circuit courts in the fall of 1876, before the supreme court of Wisconsin in 1884, department of the interior in 1886, United States federal courts in 1887, and United States supreme court at Washington, D. C. in 1900.

Mr. Hawkins has been the presiding officer in many fraternitiesG. A. R., I. O. O. F., Modern Woodmen, and othersand although not an office seeker, yet he has occupied practically every local and municipal office within the gift of his fellow citizens, including the office of district attorney several terms and mayor of his city. He has been a delegate to county, congressional and state conventions of the republican party, as well as a member of the congressional committee, and was in attendance at the republican national convention at Chicago in 1888, when Benjamin Harrison was nominated for the presidency of the United States. As an orator he has been in great demand on patriotic events, and the fraternal organizations and civic societies have frequently drafted him to fill the position of orator on their programs of entertainment.

Prior to becoming incorporated New Richmond had given bonds to a railroad corporation, and in 1873 Mr. Hawkins was selected by his townsmen as a suitable person to go to Madison and look after the interests of the town, as a fierce conflict was being waged at that time in the legislature as to the extension of the land grant to that railroad. In 1878 he donated his services to the people in drafting the necessary papers and in procuring from the circuit court (as was the procedure at that time) a village charter, it being at that time a very difficult proceeding on account of the intricacies and imperfections of the law as it then existed. Again, in 1885, his services were sought to aid in the drafting of the city charter and then to proceed to the state capitol and Madison and assist in procuring its passage.

In 1872 he married Margaret Ellen Early, a native of Allegheny county, New York, who proved to be a constant and faithful companion throughout all the busy scenes and changes of his public life. Six children blessed their union, the oldest of whom died in infancy, and the remaining fivethree boys and two girlsgrew up to be fine promising children. He had a nicely furnished home and an elegant library at his house and another at his office. The three oldest children graduated from the high school with honors. The oldest son, Fred, after teaching school several terms, took a special course at Laurence university, Appleton, Wis., and Robert and Cammilla took special courses in commercial colleges, and being, as he believed, fully equipped to manage a successful business themselves, a new firmHawkins and Hawkinswas organized by him in May 1899, and started into business with flattering prospects of future success. June 12, 1899, a terrific tornado swept over the city of New Richmond, shattering all of Mr. Hawkins fondest hopes with its cruel breath. A reporter, who visited the scene of disaster at the time, wrote as follows: "Perhaps the saddest case of all that occurred as the result of that direful tornado was that of Hon. S. N. Hawkins. His wife, two highly educated and accomplished daughters, his youngest son, a bright boy of twelve years, his niece, wifes aged father, and their hired girlin all seven persons killed and his home and all its furnishings, including his home library, swept away, his tenement houses demolished, his office, including his elegant law library, all destroyed, and he himself badly injured, buried under a two-story brick building that fell in upon him, head bruised, lower limbs crushed, ribs fractured, bones broken, so that after being extricated he was taken to St. Josephs hospital in St. Paul for treatment."

After some treatment at the hospital he returned, in a crippled condition, however, and erected an office and started his two sons, Fred and Robert, who, with himself, survived the disaster, and together they labored for a while to re-establish their home and business. Owing to the great shock which he received, and his attempts to work before he recovered, he soon became prostrated with melancholia and neuritis and was compelled to take further treatment and a vacation to get rid of sad memories, and so, leaving his law office in charge of his sons, and upon the advice of his physicians and friends, he went to Washington, D. C., in 1900. Mr. Hawkins keeps a picture of President McKinley hung up in his office and the special written invitation that he received to attend a presidential reception is framed and hangs in his parlor as a memento of the kind-hearted martyr president.

About the same time the Grand Army national encampment, hearing of the sad catastrophe and remembering the patriotic services of Mr. Hawkins, his youthful enlistment, his active participation in soldiers; reunions, Decoration day exercises and title of colonel as aide-de-camp on the staff of the commander-in-chief, G. A. R.; hence the title colonel.

Being desirous of getting away from the scenes of sad memories and with visions of the golden West before them, his sonsfirst Fred, the oldest and next Robert, went westward, and the father was left along. After mourning in loneliness for his loved ones for over two years, in 1901 he married Katrina Victoria Kane, of Watertown, Wis. He has built up a beautiful home again and is rapidly gathering a new library to take the place of the one that he lost. In 1902 his son Robert came home from the West, afflicted with a malady from the effects of which he died in less than a week, and again the father was stricken with grief. He made a trip to Tacoma and Seattle the same year to see his only remaining son and nursed him through a long siege of sickness until he recovered. That son, Fred, his only remaining child, is still in the West. Mr. Hawkins has been engaged in several very important cases, which attracted more than local interest. "The Kibbe will case" is said to be the most stubbornly contested case of its kind ever tried in that county. The will for which Mr. Hawkins contended was sustained. During his incumbency of the office of prosecuting attorney, from 1888 to 1892, there were several noted criminal cases of more than local interest, which were managed by him in such an able manner as to elicit very favorable comment from the court officers and complimentary notices in the newspapers. One of the cases which was fought very strenuously and which was watched with a great deal of interest all over the Northwest was what came to be known as "Hawkins famous police court." Briefly stated that case, also known as "The Halloween cases," started in 1906, when Mayor Hawkins, having caused the adoption of the general charter, contended that it carried with it a provision for a police court. Nearly if not all the other lawyers contended otherwise, but Mr. Hawkins after due deliberation established a police court and appointed a police justice to act until it could be filled by an election. The court thus established did business all summer and, although there were doubts expressed as to its validity, yet no protest was formally entered and no legal proceedings were had to determine its validity. Halloween time approached and Mayor Hawkins caused notices of warning to be published that, while he would be lenient towards innocent and harmless amusement, yet annoying elderly and infirm people and destruction of property would no be tolerated. As an extra precaution he appointed an extra policeman in plain clothes to guard against the wanton destruction of property. The next morning, however, it was found that the mayors orders had been disregarded. Then the police court was set in motion and young men and boys varying in their ages from thirteen to twenty-three years were dealt with. Nearly all plead guilty and paid their fines. Several who had plead guilty, however, refused to pay the fine and were sent to jail. On habeas corpus they were released by the county judge on the theory that no police court existed or could exist under the New Richmond charter. Then they sued the officers, including the mayor, for big damages for an alleged false imprisonment. The case was fought vigorously through five courts and the Supreme Court decided that a police court did exist.

Mr. Hawkins people were originally what was known as "Douglas Democrats," but when the Civil war broke out they fought to preserve the Union, and our subject became a member of the Republican party.

His office is quite noted for the correctness and systematized method of doing business, and his dockets and other records are kept with neatness and dispatch. He is noted as being a wide observer of men and events and among his choicest possessions are his "Scrap Books," which are methodically arranged with indexes and proper titles, such as "Editorial Comments," "Current Events," "Legal Clippings," "Wit and Humor," etc., so that upon nearly every topic of discussion he has a fund of information, and many mooted questions upon general topics have been settled by the disputants after visiting Mr. Hawkins office. In closing this sketch of Mr. Hawkins we may be pardoned if we conclude by quoting the language of another, who said: "His has been a busy life, and his lips know not the taste of the bread of idleness. Whatever else may be said of him when he is gone, no one can truthfully state that he ever tried to deceive a fellow man by chicanery or crookedness, or that his advice was otherwise than truthful, honest and count." Reference: Taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909


O. K. Hawley, proprietor of the "Baldwin Bulletin," the Baldwin newspaper, is a native of this state, having been born in Hammond on the 16th day of March, 1868. He is the son of William and Hannah (Moulton) Hawley. His father was a well-to-do farmer of Ashtabula, Ohio. Locating in this section in the early days, his efforts met with much prosperity and success. O. K. Hawley received a common school education and learned the printers trade. He worked at this until January 1, 1902, when he purchased the "Baldwin Bulletin." This he conducted along modern lines, and increased its subscription list to over 1,000. The paper is one of the old established sheets of this section, started some thirty years ago. Mr. Hawley was married in 1897 to Josephine Anderson, whose parents settled with the early pioneers on a farm in Rush River township, this county. William E., who is at school, is Mr. Hawleys only child. Affiliating with the Masonic fraternity, Mr. Hawley is a Knight Templar and a member of the I.O.O.F. Aside from his property in Baldwin, he owns extensive real estate in Canada. Mr. Hawley is an able writer and his paper occupies a high place among the country journals of the state. His knowledge of the printers art enables him to issue a neat appearing publication, which might well be envied by the editors of much larger places than Baldwin.

During his newspaper career he has always taken an active interest in politics, and in 1908, was elected presidential elector for the Eleventh congressional district. The same year he was elected chairman of the Republican county committee of St. Croix County, and proved to be an able and efficient campaign manager.

(taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909)


E. B. Heebink was born at Aalten, Holland, July 13, 1849, a son of Garrett John and Johannah (Snoeyenbos) Heebink, natives of that country. His parents came to America in 1854 and located at Oostburg, Holland township, Sheboygan county, Wisconsin, where they bought thirty acres of land and built a house, also conducting a general store from 1855 to 1861. In 1866 they sold their original thirty acres and two years later purchased eighty acres more in the same township. They broke all the land, erected buildings and carried on a general farming until 1872, when they sold out. They came to Hammond, Wis., the following year and acquired ten acres of land, upon which they constructed a beautiful home, where they resided until their death, the father passing away in 1887. E. B. received a good education in the common schools of Sheboygan county, remaining on the home farm and working with his father until twenty-two years of age. At that time he bought fifty-five acres of land in Hammond township, breaking the land and erecting buildings. For a time he did a diversified farming and then sold the fifty-five acres to acquire 160 acres in the same township, the place being the one upon which he now resides. He broke a part of them and at present has nearly all of it under cultivation. In 1896 he built a comfortable house and the following year erected a large and commodious barn. He is one of the up-to-date farmers of Hammond Township and everything that he has undertaken has prospered. He raises the usual crops and makes a specialty of Hereford cattle and Poland China hogs. He also has a flock of Brown Leghorn fowls and breeds some horses. Mr. Heebink was married April 7, 1874, to Gertrude Brethonwer, daughter of Adrian and Gezena (Rensink) Brethonwer, of Sheboygan County. This union was blessed with five children: George is a merchant in Baldwin township. He was born May 15, 1875, and married Cora Wilford. Edward is a farmer of Baldwin. He was born February 2, 1877, and married Elizabeth Snoeyenbos. Anna was born July 7, 1879, and married Joseph Tehennepe, a harnessmaker of Baldwin. Cena attended the normal school at River Falls and now teaches. Egbert graduated from the University of Wisconsin at Madison and is now a civil engineer at Leavenworth, Kan. E. B. Heebink was married the second time to Mary Esselink, also of Sheboygan county, daughter of Hendrick and Janna (Wiggers) Esselink, natives of Holland, where they lived and died. This marriage resulted in four children: Henry was born January 18, 1887; a little boy died in infancy; Jessie was born December 100, 1891, and Walter was born July 9, 1895. These three are at home with their parents. Mr. Heebink is a staunch democrat, and has served on the school board of Distrct No. 1, Hammond and Baldwin, for six years. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Through life he has been a man who has placed honor above everything else, and his reputation is unstained. He is a loving father and devoted husband, a genial companion and a true friend. (taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909)

Herman Heebink, the prosperous Baldwin lumberman, came to this county with just 43 cents in his pocket, and everything that he owns hnow he has made by his own efforts and unfailing industry. He was born in Holland, May 16, 1840, son of G. J. and Johanna Heebink, who came to the United States in 1854, and located in Sheboygan county, Wisconsin. The father was a farmer and also ran a general store in Holland, Wis., until 1872, when he came to St. Croix County and took up his residence in Hammond Township, where he farmed until the time of his death, in the month of December 1888. Herman received a good common school education and came to this county in 1869, preceding his father by three years. He broke land and farmed, also doing some work in the woods until 1893, when he established his present lumber yard. In connection with the yard he runs a planing mill. He was married in 1877 to Denna T. Stroote, daughter of G. J. and Gertrude (Peters) Stroote, farmers of Sheboygan County. This union resulted in five children. George H. runs his fathers planing mill; Lydia is deceased; Hanna is a bookkeeper for her father; Laura and Cecil A. are at home. Mr. Heebink owns some timber land near Ashland and also has somen ice town property. He has been president of the village and now holds school office. The family are worshipers at the Presbyterian church.

(taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909)


Thomas Heffron is a native of Ohio, born in December 1855, son of William and Bridget (OHare) of Ireland. The parents came to America in 8145, living in several different places before settling in Emerald township, St. Croix county, Wisconsin, where they bought 120 acres of land, nearly all timber. The father engaged in logging and worked in the woods until 1863, when he bought forty acres in Erin Township, same county, which he broke and cultivated. He built a log cabin and barns, carrying on a general farming until his death, August 7, 1868. The mother passed away on the 17th day of March 1894. Thomas received a good education in the public schools of Erin township, afterward taking up farming on his fathers place until 1872, when he bought 160 acres adjoining the forty acres purchased by his father. In 1876 he added another forty acres, and in 1904 still another forty, making in all 280 acres, nearly all of which he broke and developed. He also made many important improvements. In 1892 the old homestead burned to the ground, and Mr. Heffron erected a modern farmhouse at a cost exceeding $3,000. He has also built barns and out buildings. Upon this place he does a general diversified farming, up-to-date in every particular. He breeds registered Shorthorn cattle, Poland China hogs, black Spanish fowls and other live stock, aside from raising all his own horses.

Mr. Heffron was married May 15, 1895, to Anna Gavin, of Hammond, Wis., daughter of John and Anna (Hughes) Gavin, who were born in Roscommon county, Ireland, coming first to the state of Connecticut and later to Hammond, where they were among the most prominent farmers in the township. Mr. and Mrs. Heffron have been blessed with five children: Della, born February 25, 1896; Anna Alma, born August 16, 1897; William B., born October 4, 1898; Mary H., born October 18, 1899, and John R., born February 22, 1903. Mr. Heffron is a staunch Democrat and a communicant of the Catholic Church. He is a member of the Catholic Order of Foresters, and the Modern Woodmen. He has been treasurer of School District No. 1, and a director of the same for two years. He is a good citizen, highly thought of throughout the community. He is a strong believer in education, a king husband and loving father. In the Heffron family there were six brothers and sisters, of whom Thomas is one. Mary married Patrick Kane, a farmer of Erin township, Wisconsin; David is a farmer of Hudson, Wis., married to Catherine Hayes, both being now deceased; Patrick lives at Vancouver, Wash., and married Alice Dean; Rose, wife of Joseph Lumphry, is now deceased; William, now dead, was a farmer of Three Lakes, Wis., and Margaret married Daniel Gerrity of North Dakota. John, now of Bruce, Wis., married Bridget Henry, now deceased. The entire family has always been honored and respected. (taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909)


Hon. Eugene W. Helms was born in Salem, Kenosha County, Wis., April 2, 1859, a son of Ira P. and Hannah W. (Cornell) Helms, both natives of New York state. Eugene W. Helms received his education in the Wisconsin State University and graduated from the Wisconsin Law School in 1884, when he entered upon the practice of law at Madison, Wis., in partnership with T. C. Richmond. In the fall of 1884 Mr. Helms formed a partnership with I. C. Sloan, which continued until May 1888; he then came to Hudson, Wis., where he formed a partnership with H. C. Baker. This continued until he was elected circuit judge in the spring of 1896. Mr. Helms was elected district attorney in the fall of 1893, in which capacity he served until elected circuit judge. October 18, 1888, Mr. Helms married Mary Butler, who was born in Cambridge, Wis. They have one daughter, Frances M., born July 13, 1889. One of the leading citizens of Hudson who has known the judge intimately for more than twenty years says:

"As a lawyer Judge Helms while at the bar was able, painstaking and conscientious in his work. He enjoyed the respect and esteem not only of the members of the bar, but of the entire community. As a judge he possesses in an unusual degree that ability to hold an even balance in the discharge of the duties of his high office, so rare and yet so essential to the proper administration of justice. He has been twice re-elected judge of the Eighth Judicial Circuit of Wisconsin with no opposing candidate in the field. Aside from his legal acquirements, Judge Helms is a man of scholarly attainments, an industrious and critical reader of the best authors. Although of a religious turn of mind, he is liberal and charitable toward all, conceding to others the right he claims for himself of entire freedom of choice in matters of religious belief." (taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909)


Oscar Hemenway, a veteran of the Civil war, was born in Rockford, Ill., in 1839. His parents, Samuel and Lucinda (Adamns) Hemenway, were natives of Ludlow, Vt., and were well known and honored in that vicinity. Oscar worked with his father until 1861, when at twenty-two years of age, like some thousands of other youths, he responded to the call for volunteers and enlisted in the Union army, serving in Company H, Tenth Vermont, under Colonel Henry. His captain was a brave and gallant officer by the name of Hunt. Mr. Hemenways war record was a most honorable one and included service as corporal and sergeant. He saw the battles of the Wilderness, Petersburg, Sailors Creek, Bloody Angle and Cold Harbor. Upon his discharge he went to Holyoke, Mass., and opened a grocery store, which he conducted with considerable success for a period of one year. He was married in June 1866, to Manda Carr, the daughter of Almon and Anna (Morse) Carr, of Vesper, N.Y. Disposing of his business at Holyoke, he went to Ludlow, Vt., and engaged in lumbering for three years with his father. After this he came westward and located in Star Prairie, St. Croix county, Wis., where he took up eighty acres and broke the land, making all improvements. Like other farmers in the vicinity, he at once planted wheat upon his acres as soon as he developed them. Later he changed this to corn and started breeding grade and short-horn cattle, as well as Poland-China hogs. Mr. Hemenway is an independent voter and has served on the Star Prairie town board. Their faith is that of the Congregational church. They have no children. Mr. and Mrs. Hemenway are both people who keep abreast of the times by considerable reading, and they take an active interest in public affairs, local and national. They have a pleasant home and a fertile farm, and their hospitality is widely known. Reference: Taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909


Lacy Cerril Hill is a native of the St. Croix valley, having been born in Warren Township, St. Croix county, Wisconsin, May 25, 1863. He is the son of Cerril and Sarah Anderson Hill, who came to Hudson from New York City, in 1856. He was one of the oldest settlers in Warren township, acquiring his farm by entry in the United States government land office, selecting 240 acres in sections 33 and 34 of Warren Township. Sarah Anderson Hill died in Warren in 1869, and in 1`872 the father of this sketch was married to Miss Maria Grant, of Kinnickinnic Township. In 1876 Cerril Hill married Miss Mercy Root, of Star Prairie Township. He was a member of the Baptist church and generally voted the Democratic ticket. He was an extensive raiser of shorthorn cattle and was until his death in great demand at live stock shows and agricultural exhibits as a judge of fine cattle. He was born in New York State, October 1, 1826, and died July 22, 1891, being struck by lightning while returning home from the harvest field. Lacy Cerril Hill received his education in the Warren district schools and remained at the home of his parents until after becoming of age. He then rented a farm, which he conducted for a number of years, and spending his winters in the lumber camps in the northern part of the state. In 1892 he was married to Lucy Hamilton, a daughter of John Hamilton, of Kinnickinnic Township, and they are the parents of five children, upon whom they bestowed the names of Cerril, Amelia, Hattie, Mary and Rufus. Lacy C. Hill inherited his political beliefs from his father, but has never taken an active part in political affairs. He purchased his present farm in section 22, of Kinnickinnic Township, and since 1895 it has been the family residence. (taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909)


George H. Hilling is a native of New York state, born February 1, 1854, son of George W. and Catherine A. (Donovan) Hilling, of whom a sketch will be found in this volume. George H. received a good common school education and worked with his father on the farm, afterward starting work for himself. He has lived on his present farm about fourteen years. The place is regarded as one of the finest in the township. It consists of 140 acres of the best-developed land, with large barns and a beautiful house. In scenic beauty it is not lacking, as a beautiful Oak Ridge Lake joins it on the south. Mr. Hilling does general farming. He was married, November 15, 1878, to Kate, the daughter of Peter and Mary (Dailey) Kelley. The father spent his latter days with his daughter. Mr. and Mrs. Hilling have been blessed with five children: Mary E. is the wife of E. W. McGill, a merchant in St. Paul; Henry is engaged in the confectionery business in Grand Rapids, Minn.; Thomas E. is a farmer in Alden township, Polk county, Wis.; Kate is with her brother in the confectionery store at Grand Rapids; Margaret is the wife of Patrick Holey, a farmer in this township. Mr. Hilling is serving his second term as chairman of the town. Prior to this he served six terms as assessor and three years as treasurer. In politics he is a Democrat. He is a popular member of the Modern Woodmen of the World, also the Catholic Knights of Wisconsin. The sons are also members of the Woodmen. Reference: Taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909

George W. Hilling is a native of County Armaugh, Ireland, born July 13, 1830. His father was James Hilling, a farmer and courier who lived and died in Ireland. The mother was one of the well-known Hamilton family, prominent in that section of Ireland. George W. came to America in 1843 and worked many years on the railroad, after which he took up farming at Portchester, N.Y. In 1858 he came to St. Croix Falls, St. Croix county, Wis., and opened up a large farm for Thomas McSpenden, an alderman and later mayor of New York City. On this farm Mr. Hilling lived two years. Then he located at Stanton, in the same county, and bought 160 acres, upon which he broke the land and made all improvements. He also built the house and outbuildings. After eighteen years of diversified farming on this place Mr. Hilling gave the property to his son, George H., and bought for himself 340 acres, which he broke and improved, erecting houses and barns. He now does a general farming. Mr. Hilling was married, in October 1853, to Catherine A. Donovan, a daughter of Thomas and Catherine A. (Ryan) Donovan, both natives of Ireland, now deceased. The ceremony was performed at Portchester, N.Y. five children were born. A sketch of George H., the oldest, will be found in this history. Anna M. married Michael McAlpin, of Grand Rapids, Minn. Margaret, wife of Michael Madden, is now deceased, as are also Mary E. and Kate A. Mr. Hilling is a Democrat. He is now treasurer of the school board and has served on the town and school boards for many years. He has also been town clerk and treasurer. He is one of the well-known farmers of Stanton Township, and owes his position and success entirely to his own hard work. The family worships at the Catholic Church. Reference: Taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909


John Hodgin is one of the seven children of Henry and Susan (Stuart) Hodgin. Of these one daughter and three sons live in Hudson, a son died some years ago, and the rest remain in Canada, where John was born on the 1st day of August, 1833. His father was a native of Newcastle, England, and learned the trade of bricklaying. Upon coming to Canada, he followed this trade until the time of his death. For several years he was a member of the school board there. John Hodgin went to the common schools of Canada and then worked five years for his father. Upon coming to Hudson, in 1855, he worked at lumbering and teaming for twelve years. In 1857 he purchased forty acres of land in Hudson Township and then increased this with 200 acres more. This tract he developed and improved, erecting all the buildings. The brick in the beautiful mansion on the property were laid entirely by Mr. Hodgin himself. For twenty years his principal crops were wheat and oats, but since 1887 he has made a specialty of raising graded Jersey cattle and Poland China hogs. Mr. Hodgin has not been an office seeker, but found time to serve on the school board several terms in the early 80s. He is a staunch Republican. During the war he served in the Wisconsin Regulars under Captain Peabody and was honorably discharged at Milwaukee. Mr. Hodgin was married May22, 1857, to Sarah, daughter of John and Frances (Johnson) Kelley, who came from Canada in 1852 and followed farming in Hudosn until the time of their deaths. Mr. and Mrs. Hodgin were blessed with eight children: Susan, wife of Samuel Johnson, a Canadian farmer; William R., who conducts a grocery store at Northline, Hudson township; Fannie, deceased; Jane, married to C. W. Bradley; Harriet, wife of William Johnson, a prominent North Dakota lumber and coal dealer; John E., who is at home; Sarah, married to Albert Guse, of Hudson; Margaret, married to John Williams, a general storekeeper at Baudette, and Sddie, who died at eight years. John E. conducts his fathers farm, and is married to Bertha Dunbar. Their daughter, Jane Hazel, attends the public schools. The farm is conducted along up-to-date lines and show prosperity in every acre. (taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909)



Edmond J. Hogan was born in Stanton township, St. Croix county, Wisconsin, September 7, 1865, a son of Philip and Catherine (Cavanaugh) Hogan. The father came from Ireland to Milwaukee, Wis., in 1851, then went to California, afterward returning to Milwaukee in 1860 and settling in Stanton Township, St. Croix County, Wisconsin. He was highly regarded by his fellow townsmen, who elected him chairman and treasurer of the town. He was widely known as a man of public spirit. The mother was a native of New York State. At the time of the fathers death in 1883 he was the owner of 400 acres of rich land. Edmond J. received a good education in the public schools, working on the farm in the summer time. After he left school he took up farming as his life work, doing considerable work in the pine woods during the winter months. He is unmarried and resides on the old homestead with his mother. Together with his brother, John, he owns in all 520 acres of land in Stanton Township and carries on a general mixed farming, breeding fine stock and Poland China hogs. Aside from breeding high-grade cattle, he also buys and ships live stock of every description. The two brothers together made most of the improvements on the land. The old log cabin in which their father first settled is still standing on the property. Mr. Hogan is not tied down to any party traditions, but votes at each election as his conscience dictates. Three times he has been elected chairman of the town of Stanton and for two terms he has been town clerk. In a fraternal way he is a member of the Catholic Order of Foresters. Mr. Hogan is a successful farmer, and his mother, himself and his brother are all well thought of by their fellow townsmen. Reference: Taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909

James H. Hogan, one of the prosperous and successful farmers of Erin Prairie, Erin township, St. Croix County, Wis., was born in Stanton township, same county, October 2, 1869, son of Philip and Catherine (Cavanaugh) Hogan, the former a native of Ireland and the latter a native of New York state. James received a good education in the common schools of his native town and has since supplemented this with wide reading. He worked on the old homestead with the others of his family until February 14, 1904, when he located in Erin, purchased 240 acres of land, rebuilt barns, sunk a 142-foot well and erected a windmill forty feet high. Mr. Hogan is a Democrat in politics and has served on the side board three terms, at Stanton. He is a popular member of the Catholic Order of Foresters and attends the Catholic Church, being well thought of by everybody. November 30, 1904, he was married to Sarah A. Riley, of St. Paul, Minn. She was the daughter of John and Ann (Padden) Riley, well known farmers of Erin. By this union there were no children. The loss of his wife, January 1, 1906, Mr. Hogan will never cease to mourn. She was a woman of fine education and beautiful disposition, deeply loved by a wide circle of friends. Socially, she was looked up to as a leader by her circle of acquaintances, and in a religious way she was of a most devout faith. She was taken away just when but little over a year of married life had been passed. She will never be forgotten and every one with whom she came in contact will be the better for having known her. She is laid to rest in the Catholic cemetery in Erin Township. (taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909)


C. E. Holden is a native of New Brunswick, Canada, born June 17, 1855, being the youngest of a family of seven children, all of whom are still living. His parents, N. S. and Lucretia (McDiarmed) Holden, came to Hudson in 1858. N. S. Holden was a surveyor, and worked at this profession in all parts of the state. He died on the second day of July 1882. C. E. Holden received his education in the public schools and at the Hudson Academy, afterward acquiring 400 acres of land, a part of which is in Hudson Township, the remainder in Warren. These acres, which at that time were wild, have all been cleared and a spacious house and buildings erected thereon by Mr. Holden, and under his personal supervision. He has made a special study of agriculture and does a general farming business. On the 13th day of December 1882, Mr. Holden was married to Lucy Helen, daughter of William Virtue, one of the early Irish settlers of the state. Like his father, Mr. Holden had seven children. The four living are Lilah, who attends the Appleton University; Iriving, a student at the Hudson High school and Earl and Charles, who are at home. Mr. Holden is a Bryan Democrat, and is a member of the Woodmen and the Foresters. That he enjoys the confidence of his fellow citizens is shown by the fact that he has been chairman of the town of Hudson for eighteen years. He has also been chairman of the county board, school clerk and assessor. Mr. Holden is regarded as an authority on agricultural matters, and his opinions on these subjects are eagerly sought by his associates. (taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909)


George E. Holmes reckons his present prosperity and possessions from $750, which he brought with him when he came to St. Croix County,. He was born in Canada in 1852, son of John and Martha (Saxton) Holmes, both of whom died in Canada. George E. received a common school education, his early farming experience in Canada making him well qualified to develop the 280 acres which he bought here. On these acres, with the assistance of his sons, he carries on general farming business, raising Jersey and shorthorn cattle, graded stock and Poland China hogs. Half of the land is under the plow, while eighty acres are covered with fair timber. In 1907 a fine new house was erected on the property. Mr. Homes is a Republican and has a long record of able office holding, having served twelve years on the side board and fifteen years as school director and treasurer. He was married in 1880 to Mary Ann Davis, whose parents came from Canada to Clear Lake, this state, and are now dead. Mrs. Holmes is a member of the L. A. S. There are three childrenG. Alden, Ernest J. and Pearl M., all of whom are at home. Mr. Holmes is one of those solid citizens who, without seeking glory or praise, are responsible for the reputation for thrift, industry and financial stability that the county enjoys. (taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909)


Garrett Holtman was born in Linden, Sheboygan county, Wisconsin, June 7, 1856, son of John and Alice (Top) Holtman, natives of Holland, who came to America in 1853 and bought forty acres of land in that place. The father was a carpenter by trade, but also followed farming, breaking and improving all his land. He sold this property in 1872 and purchased a ten-acre lot, upon which he built a house and lived until 1882, when he sold out and bought a house and lot in the village of Gibbville, same township, where he lived until his death, April 20, 1903. His wife passed away January 2, 1891. John and Alice Holtman were the parents of seven children: Katherine married Jacob Top; Hattie married G. Abbink; Albert married Gertrude Riemer; Maggie married John Klein; Garrett was the fifth child; John married Rena Kruizenga, and Martha married Garrett Tenhaken. Albert and John are farmers of Baldwin, Wis.; the Messrs. Top, Abbink and Kline are farmers at Lincoln, Neb., and Mr. Tenhaken farms at Linden, Wis. John has three children, as follows: Priscilla Elen, Alma Laura and Roda Magdelena. Garrett received a good common school education at Linden, afterward learning the carpenters trade, which he has made largely his life work. He came to Baldwin Township in 1878 and lives with his brother John, being now engaged in the bee and honey business, of which he has made a careful study for the past twenty-three years. He keeps Italian queens mixed with blacks and is regarded as an authority on the subject of apiary culture. Mr. Holtman owns thirty acres of land in the township of Emerald, Wisconsin, and eighty acres of land in the town of Baldwin. He is an independent voter, and, although he has never sought office, has been clerk of school district No. 3 for six years. He is a hard worker, a good citizen, a popular gentleman and a strong believer in education. (taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909)


Dr. Otis Hoyt was born at Sandwich, Stafford County, N.H., December 3, 1812. His father was a farmer by occupation, and he had the privilege of attending such schools as the district afforded. But he was inclined to learn faster than he could get on in the schools and studied much by him self. He went through Pikes Arithmetic in six weeks, doing all the "sums" until he got them right. Later he studied Latin. He entered the academy at Fryberg, Me., and received from that institution a certificate of proficiency in Latin and other branches of learning. Having been examined by various superintending school committees, he was pronounced by them to be "qualified to instruct youth," and he taught several terms in the towns of Sandwich, Northfield, and other places. Carrying his shoes in his hand, in order to "save them," he set out on foot from Sandwich to Cape Cod, where he was engaged for a term of school. The Cape Cod country was rather bleak and desolate, but he got there and taught the school. Whatever other recompense he may have received we do not remember hearing him say, but we do remember his saying that "the Cape Cod girls gave him the itch." He matriculated at Dartmouth College and was graduated with the degree of doctor of medicine in 1833. A unique certificate executed by hand, shows that he joined the Phi Delta Mu Society October 29, `833. Later he attended Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, graduating in 1836, and passed an examination for entering the navy. He began the practice of medicine at Sandborton Bridge, N. H., in company with Dr. Enos Hoyt, an uncle, and continued with him about four years, including vacations previous to his graduation. He was also "proficient in dental surgery and setting teeth." During 1834 he opened an office at Mason, N.H., and in 1835 married Mary R. King, a daughter of Seth King, of New Ipswich. While at Mason he performed successfully a very unusual operation for the removal of a portion of the jaw bone. He shortly removed to Framingham, Mass. In 1846 he removed to Charlestown, Mass., relinquishing his practice to his uncle, Dr. Enos Hoyt, and giving a bond of $2,000 not to interfere with the practice of his uncle by practicing in Framingham or within ten miles of there in either direction. In the meantime, his first wife had died, and he afterwards married Eliza B. King, also a daughter of Seth King, of New Ipswich.

When the Mexican war broke out, he was a lieutenant in Company K, Fourth Regiment Light Infantry, Third Brigade, Second Division, of the militia of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. He was discharged at his own request and was commissioned by President James K. Polk major surgeon of the First Massachusetts Volunteers, of which Caleb Cushing was colonel. He served during the war and held several important and responsible positions as surgeon of the military posts of Jalapa, Matamoras, Monterey and the City of Mexico. When General Cushing had the misfortune to break his leg, Dr. Hoyt adjusted the limb and was his attending surgeon throughout the progress of his recovery. As an expression of his gratitude, General Cushing presented him with a fine saddle-horse. While the regiment was stationed at Monterey, 1847, Surgeon Otis Hoyt was made chairman of a committee to cooperate with officers of the regular army to make arrangements for celebrating the Fourth of July. They met and made arrangements and a committee waited upon Brigadier General Cushing to request him to make an address, which he consented to do. And also, by request of the committee, Colonel I. H. Wright read the Declaration of Independence. They celebrated on July 5, as the 4th fell on Sunday, "the day as dear to us in a strange clime and in the midst of war as when welcomed at our peaceful home." At this distance, in point of time, it is interesting to know that various sentiments were responded to, dear to the hearts of old-time Americans: "The President," "The Army," "The Constitution," "The Illustrious Dead," "Americas Fair Women," etc.

At the close of the Mexican War, Dr. Hoyt returned to Charlestown only long enough to make arrangements for moving west. He made one trip out to reconnoiter and returned for his family, then consisting of wife, and two children of the first wife. They came down the Ohio River and up the Mississippi to St. Paul. Either at this time or subsequently Dr. Hoyt purchased some land in St. Paul, where the Union Depot now stands, but thinking St. Croix Falls a more favorable location, because of its water power, which General Cushing was interested in and because this point was the "head of navigation," he went there to live. In 1851 he was appointed by General Nelson Dewey appraiser of lands located in St. Croix county. In addition to the practice of medicine, he also made himself useful in the new community in the office of postmaster, justice of peace, etc. In 1852, having been elected to the legislature, he removed his family to Stillwater, as there were no houses to be had in Hudson, where he had decided to make his future home. Here he built a residence on the corner of Third and Locust streets, where it still stands. Dr. Hoyt was eminent in his profession, was public-spirited and engaged at times in successful business enterprises. Dr. Hoyt was one of the principal promoters of the enterprise to build a railroad from St. Croix Lake to the head of Lake Superior, and was active in procuring from congress the valuable grant of land in aid of the work. It was this land grant which subsequently secured the construction of what is now known as the Northern Division of the Omaha Railroad.

In the vicissitudes and hardships of pioneer life Mrs. Hoyt, who came of a strong and self-reliant New England English family, proved herself a worthy helpmeet. She possessed a wonderfully well-balanced temperament, and was calm and sensible under trials, uncomplaining and determined to surmount difficulties, and was an apt competitor with her husband in wit and repartee. After she had been living in St. Croix Falls two or three years she one day sat by the window with her sewing, and a baby in a chair near her. An Indian came to the window and put his blanket up to enable him to shut out the light and see in the better. He stood leering at her, undoubtedly expecting her to jump up and show signs of fear. Very quietly she said to little Mary, "Run out the back door and tell father to come," and continued her sewing, although much frightened. "Father" came soon, and sent the Indian away. At one time, when hunting had been poor, the Indians entered the cellar and Mrs. Hoyt heard them at the pork barrel. Again little Mary was dispatched for "Father," and he came and gave them a few pounds of pork and made them understand they must ask him when they wanted pork. The "medicine man" seemed to be in much favor with the Indians and he could quite easily control them for that reason.

April 5, 1861, Dr. Hoyt was appointed inspector of the Second Brigade, Eleventh Division of the troops concentrating at Madison, Wis., where he examined over 11,000 recruits. August 19, 1862, he was appointed examining surgeon for St. Croix County, and September 8, 1862, was appointed surgeon of the Thirtieth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He shared the fortunes of the regiment in General Sibleys Northwestern Indian expedition via For Rice, Dak. On the return of the regiment from the Northwest he served as brigade surgeon, also as post surgeon at Bowling Green and Louisville, Ky. He was mustered out of the service September 20, 1865, and subsequently he resided at Hudson. Among the medical societies to which he belonged are the following: New Hampshire Medical School, 1836; Massachusetts Medical Society, 1838; St. Croix Valley Medical Society, 1860; Minnesota State Medical Society, 1874; St. Croix County Medical Society, 1882, and was its first president; Northwestern Interstate Medical Society, 1882. He was an Odd Fellow during the thirties and a Mason for many years. The children of Dr. Otis Hoyt are: Mary R., Mrs. Charles Dexter, and afterwards Mrs. H. A. Wilson, deceased; Charles Otis, deceased, both children of the first wife; Caleb Cushing, deceased; Ella Frances, now Mrs. C. F. King, of Hudson; Lizzie, deceased; Anna Preston, now Mrs. F. W. Epley, of New Richmond; Ida Maria, now Mrs. E. D. Sewall, of Chicago; Harriet Hubbard, now Mrs. John A. Wyand, of Crookston, Minn.; and Eliza Bellows, now Mrs. W. R. Reynolds, of Chatfield, Minn.Contributed by relatives. (taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909)


Col. James Hughes. The Colonel was a native of Virginia, having been born at Prince Edward Court House in 1803. He graduated at Hampden Sidney College, and studied law with William Wirt, and was admitted to the practice in the Supreme Court. He removed to Jackson, Ohio, and started the "Standard", a paper still published there, and he was for twelve years a member of the Ohio Legislature. In the spring of 1849, he removed to St. Paul, and published the "Chronicle"; in the fall he came to Hudson, which had more brilliant prospects than St. Paul, on account of obstructions in the river above the mouth of the St. Croix. He published the first newspaper printed here. He was married in Ohio in 1838 to Miss Elizabeth Mather. They had seven sons and four daughters, all living but one son. The Colonel was a prominent man, and was some time in the 50's, a candidate for Lieutenant Governor of the State. His death was in August, 1873.
(taken from "History of Northern Wisconsin", published in 1881)


Mrs. Jennie Humphrey, the beloved wife of Judge Humphrey, M. C.; lived twenty-three years in Hudson, was well known and enjoyed a life of usefulness. She left five children, three daughters and two sons.

(Taken from "History of Nothern Wisconsin", pub. 1881)

S. V. Humphrey is one of those men who are always alive to every possibility for the advancement and progress of the community. He was born in Emerald Township, this county, a son of Thomas and Mary A. (Flemming) Humphrey. The father came to Emerald in the early days and worked in a sawmill until 1878, when he came to Cylon township and settled on the farm where S. V. has since continued to reside. The father died in 1904 and the mother passed away in 1901. S. V. was brought up on the farm and attended the public schools, afterward going to work with his father. He later took entire control of the place and now owns it. The farm consists of 360 acres of good land, 300 acres of which is under the plow. He makes a specialty of raising hogs and cattle. The farm is situated not far from the village of Cylon, and the house and barns and grounds are the admiration of al strangers who drive out that way. In 1902 Mr. Humphrey was married to Nettie Wood, who came of old pioneer stock, her parents being early settlers of Polk county, Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. Humphrey have three childrenMary, Richard and Walter. Mr. Humphrey is a Republican in politics and has served as assessor three years. He affiliates with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Clear Lake, in Polk County. He was one of the ardent advocates of the farmers telephone in this section and has always done all in his power to promote its interests. He has made all that he owns by his own hard work, and his honor, integrity and straightforwardness are beyond question. (taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909)


R. S. Hurd was born in Potter county, Pennsylvania, September 22, 1852, a son of Joseph and Susanna (Sharp) Hurd, of the same county. He came to St. Croix county, Wisconsin, as a youth, and received a common school education. His first work was at lumbering and milling for the Johnson Brothers at New Richmond, Wis. Then he bought the old homestead and eighty acres more near by. Here he raised wheat for a number of years. After this he turned his attention to breeding Holstein grade cattle, Poland China hogs and Plymouth Rock fowls. Mr. Hurd followed farming until 1894, when he sold his farm and moved to Roberts, another St. Croix county, Wisconsin, town. For eleven years he carried on a grocery and grain elevator business, buying grain for the Wisconsin Elevator Company. He moved to New Richmond in 1904 and bought the house and a three-acre lot, where he now resides and upon which he has made many improvements. October 3, 1883, Mr. Hurd was married to Mrs. Anna J. Cave, daughter of S. S. and Jane (Briggs) Spencer, of Pennsylvania. By this union there are four children. Lee S. is at home. Robert L. is a druggist and graduated from the New Richmond, Wis., High school. Elsie is also graduated from the same school and is now a teacher. Ruth is still a student and is also at home. Together with his oldest son, Mr. Hurd now conducts a pump and windmill business. He is an independent voter. He affiliates with the Roberts Lodge, No. 319, I. O.O.F. His wife is a member of the Rebekah degree of the latter order.

Mr. Hurd is much interested in the early history of the county and he has interesting recollections of one period when 300 Indians passed through Little Prairie, Erin township, St. Croix county, and entering Mr. Hurds home, helped themselves to whatever pleased their fancy, including a spotted fawns skin that was valued highly by the family. These were Sioux Indians from Minnesota, and a few days later the Chippewas, with painted faces, passed that way inquiring for the Sioux. Mr. Hurd has always been a hard working man, and his success is due to his own labor. Reference: Taken from "History of the St. Croix Valley", published in 1909